- 1 ½ cups red lentils or yellow split peas
- 1 ½ pounds russet potatoes (about 2) peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tsp chopped fresh ginger, kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 ¾ lbs total)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves, torn
- In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, combine the lentils, potatoes, onion, garlic, curry powder, ginger, 1 ¼ tsps salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Add the broth and chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, transfer the chicken to a medium bowl and, using 2 forks, shred the meat; return it to the slow cooker. Add the lime juice and stir to combine, adding more water if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Serve topped with the yogurt and cilantro, with the lime wedges on the side. Goes well with the gluten-free pita bread.