- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- ½ c sugar to taste
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- ½ tsp guar or xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup spectrum all vegetable shortening or butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Gluten-free whipped topping (optional)
- Up to 1 day before serving, wash hull and slice strawberries. Place in bowl and stir in ½ c sugar. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a muffin pan with shortening or use cupcake liners. You may use a shortcake baking pan, but it is not necessary!
- Place all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Place shortening and sugar in another mixing bowl and use a stand-mixer or an electric mixer to cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat on high just until combined with the shortening and sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low until combined. Pour in milk and vanilla and beat until the batter is smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Fill each muffin cup about ½ full with batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the cakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing them.
- To serve, cut the cupcakes in ½ and place on individual plates. Spoon about ½ c strawberries and juice over each cake and top with the whipped topping (optional).
Makes 12 servings